Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Review: Opera Mini Final Version 5

Opera Mini 5 Final has officially launched on 16 March 2010, after trying for 2 days I will try to review it when compared with the previous version 4.2. I did a test on my old mobile phone of mine, and also belonged to my family (Sony Ericsson K800) SE K510i, Nok 6300).
I wrote the following information taken from the Opera site, about the release of Opera Mini 5.

New features in Opera Mini:

* Tabbed browsing
* Speed Dial feature with thumbnails (Same as Opera Desktop Browser)
* Password Manager (similar features from version Opera Browser)
* Display a new, easy to use, and well suited for touch-screen phones as well phone with a keypad
* Download manager
* Opera Link

Changes from the Opera Mini Beta 2:
* More choice of languages!
* Russian language virtual keyboard for touch-screen phone
* Performance is better for low memory device (when compared with the version 5 beta 2)
* Improvement of the many bugs (weakness)

When first installed there was no reply problem occurs, just go to m.opera.com  in my browser phone, the phone recognized immediately and offered to install Opera Mini 5.
But after the download is complete, K800 asked if I want to overwrite the version 4.2 with this new version, based on my curiosity on testing version 5 so i replaced version 4.2. (So you can not install 2 different versions of Opera Mini)
The first time I was shocked to open the screen with the logo Telkomsel - Indonesian GSM Service (I use Indosat M3) after I browse on the Internet turned out to Telkomsel's work with Opera to new-service campaign. (Still, no reason to put Logo Telkomsel isn't it?)

For Browsing, almost no differences regarding the speed with the previous version. Then I tried Tab Browsing feature to open a Facebook page and Simple, but time to open the third tab page appears less memory message (out of memory), after I close the application and the application shMessenger reply was living behind the scenes. Then I tried to repeat again, there was no problem.
In this version I often experience hangs loading pages, connection failed, and out of memory reply that I rarely encountered in previous versions.
Then I see my feedback list (Feed), it lost all my feeds and I have to re-enter my feed address.

And when I would open my saved pages from Opera Mini 4.2 was not there at all, apparently saved pages from earlier version will not be able to read in version 5 of this. :)
Also when I want to change the font size, font size was almost equal to its largest size medium in beta, and 4.2.
Intrigued with the compatibility with older mobile I try to install opera in 5 SE K510i and N6300 mobile, when on the K510i, its performance is very slow, often hangs and can not be tabbed browsing. While the 6300 features not found landspace mode, when I browse the Opera proved deadly this feature in all versions of Nokia S40 because there are compatibility problems.
Sometimes the ads also appear, and there is a recommendation to install a version of Opera 5 beta 2.

So this is the following summary of the findings already discussed above :
* Telkomsel logo appear on all mobile phones to install OpMin 5.
* Tabbed browsing feature is nice, but you must have a fairly new handphone
* View less maximized if phone screen resolution less than 240x320 pixels
* Smaller font
* For Nokia S40 no landscape features
* Our old feed will not appear if the upgrade from version 4.2
* Pages that we saved from version 4.2 is not compatible with version 5
* Sometimes the ad appears and the wrong notification to upgrade to version 5 beta 2

My conclusion, Opera Mini is suitable 5 for newer phone (2007 and above), because it requires memory and good processor to maximize the tabbed browsing feature.

If you do not have a problem with the deficiencies as described above , you can upgrade your Opera Mini to version 5, but when youhave older phone you should stick with version 4.2.
To download direct your browser phone to http://m.opera.com

No comments: